Author Topic: Time flies............  (Read 5851 times)

Andrew Hellen

Time flies............
« on: September 27, 2007, 04:15:06 AM »
Hello all,

I am new to this forum, so I thought I would leave a message and share some of my JMC memories.

I started mountain biking around the same time as Jason, and my first race season was 1990 at the age of 12. I had seen pictures and read articles about Jason in the Mags, but it was not until 1992 that I actually got to meet him. I am fom North Wales and I went to Beth Gellert to compete and watch the weekends racing. Jason was riding for MBUK on a Salsa ala carte bike and I was jelous! I remember watching him practice and trying to comprehend 'how the hell did he do that!' as he tackled a rocky section of the course. I also wanted a girlfriend that loved cycling as much as me.

I met Jason many times at other events on the UK circuit. I was a lot younger than Jason, so I never actually raced against him. I do remember Malverns 1995 when Jason and Pete T (Mr Crud) rode in on their Harley's. It was just like 'Chips', but cooler and without the uniforms!

I also remember racing home from school to watch the latest round of the Grundig World cup that my VCR had recorded. I could not believe what I was seeing when the program opened with a tribute to the life of JMC. I was devistated. That was a week or so after his accident and the first time I had heard the bad news. That was 12 years ago!!!! how time flies.

I never really got to speak with Jason, I was always too shy to say anything. I just dreamed of the day where I would compete against him, or even ride on the same team as him.

In Late 1995 at the age of 16, I convinced my parent to allow me to get a JMC tattoo. My parents did not even complain of try and talk me out of it as they knew how much I idolised Jason.

I now live in the USA, in the good 'ol South. I requently get asked about my cool Tattoo. Some people think it is a copy of Anthony Kedis's (from the Red Hot Chili Pepers) but I proudly inform them it is a JMC tattoo, I then go on to explain who Jason is.

I have some photos and video footage (recorded off eurosport) of Jason in action, but they are all in boxes stored at my parent house in North Wales. I will dig them out next time I get back to Wales for a visit.

Ride Free JMC

Regards to all

Andrew